Sunday, January 30, 2011

Existential Hermit Doubts, Snow and Sun

Back to my normal hermit routine today. Sancho is happily pawing his way through the glass door again in honor of something, but it definitely isn't a plea to open the door. I've tried four times already and he just fixes me with his best puppy dog stare and stands very still, hoping that whatever he wants to happen will now magically happen.

The temperature is cold again, about 10 below zero. There has been this strange cold weather snow falling that is super light and thin, and it builds up in really interesting ways. The whole area is back to winter wonderland status. There is a hefty layer of frost built up on all the trees and anything else that has a surface. Here is a wind chime that resides on the back porch.



The day that Buttons and Lemington took off the clouds were very low and very oppressive, but by the end of the day the sun was starting to peek through the mist. 








Yesterday and today have both been almost offensively sunny. The sun is all the way above the mountains to the south, and shining like a demon doused in gasoline. It evokes the craziest emotions in me, things like "hope" and "joy". After all the darkish days I didn't even remember what a nice sunny day looked like.

I have gone for some skis and some snowmachine rides in the hopes of tiring out the dog, but I think that he is getting to be in better shape because what used to work no longer does. Maybe it's just the disappearance of Maggie the Tormentress, because Sancho keeps insisting that the keyboard of my laptop is the very best place in the world to use as a platform for chewing his tennis ball, an activity he was only ever vaguely interested in before her visit.

I am struck by how soon my hermitage must come to a close. I am beginning to be racked by those social doubts that every hermit must face when they return to society. Must I shower every week? Do I have to wear clothing all the time? What do you mean I can't wear a 50 caliber revolver everywhere I go?

What should I do, dear readers? I hope that you will ask me questions about my impending return to civilization so that I can deepen my understanding.

Status Quo on the MAoENMHA. Scoot your roots!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Hermit,

    What's the loudest noise you ever heard in hermitude? Probably nothing like the noise of traffic in the big city. What's the worst stink you ever smelled in hermitude? Probably nothing like the mighty stink of the big city. Please address how you plan on coming to terms with these surely jarring assaults on your tender hermit senses and if you plan on using meditation as a tool, or perhaps enlisting the services of a life coach?

    Also, what's the first thing you will eat when you get back to civilization?

    And, are you in the habit of talking to yourself, and if so, will you stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will Sancho do without you?

    Are you seeking a new hermitage? Where?

    What words of wisdom do you have for us, the "unhermitted"?

    Was it all worth it?

    Can we follow you by blog onto your next adventure?

    What was your best meal? worst meal? high point? low point?

    ReplyDelete